Tomorrow is the last day of school, FINALLY! This school year has dragged on way too long. I am so glad to be coming to the end and to have the joy of spending summer with my little people. One of the many things I want to do this summer is show increased patience and love for each of my kids. The last year has been a busy one around our house -- with two babies, we have had more than the normal chaos. But I am dedicated to being a nice and fun mommy this summer. I know I will need to pray for help with this one and to remind myself to be patient quite frequently. But honestly, no one deserves my patience more than my children.
Just today, Caroline was on my heels at every turn. It seemed like one of those days when your child is plastered to the side of your body. I think the last time she followed me so closely and "needed" me more she was still inside my womb. At any rate, it seemed like every few seconds I' d hear, "Mommy?" I was patient, but after about the thirtieth time, I felt myself wearing a little thin (which is not to be confused with 'looking a little thin' -- dang it.) I nearly answered her derisively when I remembered a great story my grandma tells...
Once upon a time, when your Uncle Dave was a little boy, he was at me a lot one day. Every time I turned around I'd hear "Mawmmmy". Finally, in frustration, I turned to him and growled, "Stop calling me that!" After a few minutes, he returned..."Mrs. Farnsworth?" I felt so bad. I scooped him up in my arms and held him.
Grandma knew there would be days like this. She was warning me so that I wouldn't growl back. She knew, like I know, that they grow too fast and once they're in school, they're gone so much of the time. Every opportunity to interact with them can be full of love. It's up to me to make it so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow I thought we got out late, last Wednesday, but you win! I need to stick with a routine because Seth is already over tired and GRUMPY. I kept telling him today if he was going to be so grumpy to me that he would have to go in another room and leave me alone. I also felt bad, but that kid does not listen :)
I love your Grandma Farnsworth story! She and your grandpa were some of the first people to believe in me, to love me unconditionally...
I love this line, "But honestly, no one deserves my patience more than my children."
I'll try to remember that this summer!
That is dang cute. I should have read this in the morning so that I would have been more patient with the my two "hip-huggers" tonight!
Such a good reminder. Sometimes I think if I hear "Mommy" one more time I'm going to lose it! That's a great story.
Post a Comment