Did you ever think you were the worst parent ever? No, you're not. That's me. Yes, hunh, yes hunh, yes hunh!
So let me share the latest installment in my adventures of crappy parenting. Today was the day for me to take daughters Rachel and Eliza for their annual school physicals. They've both grown and gained appropriately, so no worries there (funny since the kids all eat pretty much the same stuff -- confused? see below....) But they gave Rachel a flu shot and did a finger stick to check her blood. She weathered it fine and was very sweet during the whole process. As we exited the doctor's office and headed for the elevator, she said, "I can't see..." and started walking silly. I was only partly paying attention to her because I had Eliza by the other hand and was simultaneously trying to read their paperwork to make sure the doctor had checked all the right boxes for their school forms.
That's when the elevator doors opened. I pulled Rachel's clammy hand and looked up just to see her smack her head full bore on the open edge of the elevator door on her way to full unconsciousness. I looked down at the knot on her head and realized that she had tried to tell me, but nooooo. I laid her down on the lobby floor and put her little sister next to her to stand sentinel. I ran upstairs and got the nurse and ice pack. She was, of course, sobbing when we came back. I suck.
Oh, and btw, Rachel was featured in an article in this month's Westchester magazine (scroll down until you see the link that shows her with a little boy and another girl and it says, "The Kids Issue".) She was also pictured on the contents page and on the article cover page as well as her individual picture next to her interview. So she's both famous and damaged. I'm so proud (which is helpful when coupled with stupidity.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh man, that could have happened to anyone, yet as it happens we can't help but think, no it couldn't, this would ONLY happen to me!!
When Little Brian was walking at 10 months. We had him out kicking a soccer ball in the street. I noticed the ball was rather flat and I said, "Honey, this is probably dangerous with the ball this flat, perhaps we should get him out of the street."
To which my wise husband said, "It will be fine, don't worry about it." Less than 1 minute later our son went to kick the ball and his foot got stuck on the top of the flat collapsing soccer ball and it launched him over the top and scraped the majority of his face across the asphalt.
It was horrific. Tiny baby, seriously scraped, bloody face. I was devastated and ticked at my husband, "Unbelievable, I told you. Seriously, I KNEW it!!!"
If I was such a genius why didn't I just scoop up my little runner and escort him to the safety of grass?!
I was painfully reminded of my poor judgment for months. I am not quite sure who was in more pain.His physical pain. My emotional agony.
At times we see these things coming. Other times what may have been obvious to another will be lost in the shuffle of life distractions.
Luckily, most of our children survive and hopefully we will too!
P.S. Loved your thoughtful praise. Made my day. I am impressed by how successfully you manage all your children. Your daughter wanting to be you, speaks volumes for how amazing you are!
um, ouch. wow. I think she deserves a duck. :) it sounds very stressful for all of you.
Okay this is not funny, but if she were not unconscious she would've been able to "duck" and avoid getting whacked by the door. See I told you, not funny.
This sort of thing happens to all of us. It's impossible not to have things like this happen because as moms we are trying to do several things at once. While we are multi-tasking, doing this juggling act, things like this happen. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Great picture of your kid! :)
Was your daughter's interview conducted before or after this incident? :)
If you really want to feel good about your kid, read the interview for the other Rachel on that page.
Highlights:
If you could have a wish come true, what would it be? That people would appreciate what they have and won’t be greedy.
If you could be any person beside yourself who would you be and why? Michelle Obama because she gets to live in the White House.
And my personal fav...
What’s the most interesting thing you’ve ever learned? That the water we use in the sink goes into the toilet.
I hear ya, Bubba. When Daniel read that interview he asked me, what kind of special plumbing do you think they've got going on over there?
I'm sorry Denise but I think this is so funny! When your kids are all grown and coming over for Sunday dinner, they will remind you of this and laugh hysterically.
Your daughters picture is beautiful! And want a tribute to you that she aspires to be a mom. You are most definitely doing something RIGHT.
BTW, I have a cute stuffed animal I'd love to send her way. E-mail me your address so I can get this in the mail.
Thank you for sharing! I need to know it's not only me with all the drama going on!
Post a Comment