
Sometimes I am over the top. I admit it. I like everything just so, nothing left undone, I's dotted, T's crossed. But, a couple of years ago, my older sister Deb sent me an article about prioritizing called "Sometimes a One Mile Effort is Enough." I loved the essay. I could totally see myself in what the author was describing and I decided that she was right -- sometimes store bought cookies are enough, etc. So, I began to change my ways. No more 5 course meals for missionaries. No more school parties with handmade sugar cookies and 6 colors of tinted frosting. I decided to keep things simple and just follow through on my committments -- letting that be enough. But sometimes, the old me creeps up to try to strangle the new me and make my life hard again.
Like this morning, Emma told me she wanted to bring hot cocoa in for her school class tomorrow. I said okay and went to Target for some packets of cocoa and hot beverage cups. I told her I would fill the thermos with hot water and pick up some donuts too. She looked up at me sweetly and listened as I explained my grand plan to be the coolest mom ever. When I was finished she thoughtfully said, "Mom, you are so generous. I just asked for cocoa. The teacher has an electric tea kettle for hot water, and picking up donuts for my whole class with two babies, in the rain, is too much work. All I wanted was hot chocolate and I love the kind you got. It will taste great. Thanks!"
And with a kiss, she ran off. Once again I am taught by the giant spirit that lives in her little body. And, I am better for it.

2 comments:
So sweet! What a wonderful example she is to her little sisters and brother . . .
Such a sweet story, Bean. I really love you - and her.
Post a Comment