(If, while reading this, you feel compelled to yell "Shut Up!" at the computer, I'll understand. Just please don't do it around my kids, because of course, "Shut Up!" is not a kind thing to say.) To be clear, I'm not always a positive thinker. But, I'm not really moody either. In fact, my moods, except when pregnant, are not mercurial -- I am generally quite even keeled. This is partly due to how I came, as well as being raised by a mother who would not entertain prima donna behavior in the home. So, all that said, when I am a little down or bugged, I usually keep it to myself. I find small, under- the- breath mutterings, while driving, quite helpful.
.
But, back in November, while attending the adult session of stake conference, I was privileged to hear a talk by my friend Dave Marriott. He said that we should be a happy and joyful people because in truth, we've so much for which to be thankful. Here's an excerpt:
But, back in November, while attending the adult session of stake conference, I was privileged to hear a talk by my friend Dave Marriott. He said that we should be a happy and joyful people because in truth, we've so much for which to be thankful. Here's an excerpt:
"Being of good cheer as one author put it is about being thankful. Thankful:
- For the wife who says it's hot dogs tonight,
because she is home with you, and not out with someone else.
- For the husband who is on the sofa being a couch potato,
because he is home with you and not out at the bars.
- For the teenager who complains about doing dishes
because it means she is at home, not on the streets.
- For the taxes you pay
because it means you are employed.
- For the mess to clean after a party
because it means you have been surrounded by friends.
- For the clothes that fit a little too snug
because it means you have enough to eat.
- For a lawn that needs mowing and windows that need cleaning
because it means you have a home
- For all the complaining about the government
because it means you have freedom of speech.
- For the parking spot you find at the far end of the parking lot
because it means you are capable of walking and have a car.
- For your huge heating bill
because it means you are warm.
- For the lady behind you in church who sings off key
because it means you can hear.
- For the pile of laundry and ironing
because it means you have clothes to wear.
- For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day
because it means you have been capable of hard work
- For the alarm that goes off
because it means you are alive."
- For the wife who says it's hot dogs tonight,
because she is home with you, and not out with someone else.
- For the husband who is on the sofa being a couch potato,
because he is home with you and not out at the bars.
- For the teenager who complains about doing dishes
because it means she is at home, not on the streets.
- For the taxes you pay
because it means you are employed.
- For the mess to clean after a party
because it means you have been surrounded by friends.
- For the clothes that fit a little too snug
because it means you have enough to eat.
- For a lawn that needs mowing and windows that need cleaning
because it means you have a home
- For all the complaining about the government
because it means you have freedom of speech.
- For the parking spot you find at the far end of the parking lot
because it means you are capable of walking and have a car.
- For your huge heating bill
because it means you are warm.
- For the lady behind you in church who sings off key
because it means you can hear.
- For the pile of laundry and ironing
because it means you have clothes to wear.
- For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day
because it means you have been capable of hard work
- For the alarm that goes off
because it means you are alive."
.
I have thought about this talk over and over again during the holidays. Between trips to Dallas and Phoenix, I was home only four days and found myself out in the driveway chipping away ice and shoveling snow. To be fair, I HATE that particular job. At our old place, we had a gardener who took care of this loathsome task for us. But, we haven't yet employed a gardener at this house so it fell to me to clear the drive and walks. So, I was shoveling snow and ice and grumbling to myself that I should have never left the Bay Area. Then, the little Pollyanna that this talk created in me said, "I should be glad I am shoveling snow because that means I have a strong back."
.
Ahhh dangit.

3 comments:
I so thought that that talk was constructed for ME in mind, but he claims it wasn't. I have pondered that talk more than any talk I can remember in the last few years. We all need a shot of "Be of Good Cheer" humbling. So when I'm mad because I can't figure out all the ins and outs of blogging, I'll just be glad I have fingers to type and people to read and forget about the pretty borders and fonts. Thanks for listening.
What a great talk and post. We all need that reminder.
And I am grateful for you - but I still hope you get the gardener one day. That will be another thing for which you can be thankful. :) But thank goodness you are strong.
Post a Comment