When I was young, I recall being frequently asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I'm sure my response changed a lot over the years. But the last response I can ever recall giving to that question was, "I want to be a mother."
As an aside, I am fortunate to have an amazing mother. My mother is smart, well-educated, well-read, very witty and clever. She is beautiful -- as a little girl, I often wished people would stop telling me I looked just like my father (here's a hint folks...most little girls don't want to hear that they look like a man, even if he's handsome.) My mother had dark, almost black hair and has gorgeous round chestnut eyes. She is lovely inside and out. My mom is never demanding of me, supports my decisions, embraced my husband as if he had been her own son. She comes to see me when I ask her to, she is ever an example to me of faithful service and devotion to her God, family, and country. My mom is my hero, in so many wonderful ways. But, my greatest admiration of her stems from the fact that she raised four daughters and most importantly, taught and trained each child.
Teaching and training: it's really the essence of what good mothers do. I have been a mother for eleven years. In the early years of mothering, so much of the mechanical side to that life seemed to dominate my attitudes toward my chosen career path. It can be daunting to service all the needs of little children: diapers, laundry, meals, bathing, shopping, etc. There were times when I would wonder why I'd bothered to get a college degree, serve a mission, travel, and gain other experiences, just to waste away as a slave to the needs of demanding little children. As my children grew, so did my perspective. I began to see how my preparations and experiences would help me teach and train my children to be citizens of the world, not just usurpers in my home. My mother and father went to great lengths to make sure that their children had experiences outside their comfort zone, so that perhaps their children might have greater perspective than they otherwise would if they lived in a sheltered environment where everyone looked and believed the same.
Besides traveling with their children, my parents, Mom especially, made sure we were exposed to people with varying abilities and challenges. I remember my mom sitting with me in the car on our way over to "pattern" a quadriplegic man in our church congregation. She explained to me that it was believed that by exercising this man's appendages, his body would atrophy less over time as he sat in his wheelchair. I was concerned about the smell and the fact that the man drooled prolifically. My mom made the necessary explanations and took the time to comfort me in my concerns. After that, I went with her often to help pattern Tom. Each time, I enjoyed helping him more. But the key was exposure and teaching and training.
My own introduction to motherhood was not what I anticipated. It was rocky at best. Not because the baby was unwanted or a surprise, more because Emma was born at 23 weeks gestation, and at such an early stage in pregnancy that I was simply unprepared. Teaching and training her the finer, more important lessons was quickly overwhelmed by helping her get enough oxygen, making sure she could see, and then as she grew, overcoming the other challenges that hyper prematurity brings. Because Emma is such a rarity -- babies born at 23 weeks are still not routinely resuscitated and those that are almost always suffer from cerebral palsy among other disabilities, there is no history or pattern for us to fall back on. Emma is the history; she is the one to watch. Which makes it even more important that I take the time to teach and train her. But it's not easy. Sometimes, my kids do and say things that make me think nothing I have ever said or done has or will make any difference. Some days, I want to call my mom and have her come take over. She's the seasoned professional, right? But no, these are my challenges, my opportunities, my responsibilities -- given to me by a Father in Heaven who believes I am the mom for the job.
Just the other day, Emma came to me. "Mom," she said. "Do I have ADD?"
"Why do you ask, honey?" I answered.
"Well, I got distracted by a cool stick I found during gym today. We were playing soccer on the outside fields and I found a stick that I thought would make a cool art project. One of the girls in my class got bugged at me because I wasn't paying attention to the game and asked me if I have ADD. So do I?"
"Hmmm. Yes Emma, you do. Your brain did not get the chance to develop in utero the way it should have. So, in the frontal lobe, you have a mild amount of 'damage.' This affects your ability to stay focused. But it won't keep you from doing all the things you want to do in this life. We just need to be aware of it."
"Oh. So there's something wrong with me?" Emma concluded.
"Well, yes and no. There's something wrong with all of us. We just have to learn to overcome our challenges and move on." I explained.
Then Daniel interceded, explaining that some people just throw the term ADD around and use it to describe anyone who is easily distracted, as might have been the case with the girl in her class. He explained that perhaps she had heard an adult say, "Do you have ADD?" to someone who was distracted.
Emma thought about her father's words of explanation and my honesty about her condition for several days. Later, she came to me. "Mom, if I have ADD because I have some slight brain damage, why would anyone ever use the phrase, 'Do you have ADD?' jokingly? Isn't that like making fun of someone with a disability?"
I paused...my thoughts were so mixed: exultant that I've trained my child to be sensitive to those with disabilities! Crushed: my daughter just realized that someone was not being very kind to her. "Yes," I told her. "We should always watch what we say."
I'm trying to teach them. Please, please teach yours too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
love it when you write-- but it always makes me want to just see you in person! xoxo, m
and writings like this are what make me grateful to have you and your family in my life...thank you
the "usurpers in [your] home" are lucky to have you as their mother.
Wow, that is by far the most moving blog I have read, maybe ever. I am so impressed by your mothering skills that it is no surprise to me that you have such a wonderful mother. I have had such an opposite upbringing, my mother has a huge disability. I used to wonder why I was given this challenge, but maybe it was preparation to be able to love and accept others more fully and unconditionally. Even so, I still have to work on that! You are a great mom and I am sure that your mother is very proud of the way you raise your children!
thanks for sharing this experience.
we are learning how to be parents to one easily distracted boy. and how to help others work well with him in a productive way (ie. preschool teachers, etc).
just stopping by to say hi! prepare yourself, your daughter will also be 11 very soon! Where has the time gone. I miss the days of 3 year old girls running around Philly. oh, yeah, you still have the little girls part :)
Your post really reminded me of an experience I had with my 10 year old. I noticed at dinner he was shifting uncomfortably in his chair. I asked him what the problem was, and he told me that a girl at school had kicked him in his “behind”. I asked him if he had done anything to provoke the incident, and he told me that he hadn’t (and my son just doesn’t lie, I’ve taught him NEVER to lie). So when I asked him exactly where the pain was coming from, he pointed again to his “behind” – and I told him, Actually, Kiefer, that is your coccyx. People call it by many different names, but that is the real medical term for it, and he needed to understand that. My husband Joel of course stepped in and said all that medical jargon wasn’t very useful in the discussion, and that he preferred the term “tukkus” (whatever that means! lol). Well, four days later we were at dinner, after the bruise on Kiefer’s coccyx had healed, and in the middle of passing the boiled carrots, I noticed Kiefer seemed a bit down in the dumps. I said, Your coccyx is healed, what now?
He said, Mom, I was just thinking that Natalie should have never kicked me in my coccyx. I didn’t do anything to deserve it!!
It was hard for me not to tear up when I realized that my son now understood an important lesson - that no one should be targeted with undeserved, unprovoked violence (especially to the coccyx!!). Too think, just a simple anatomy lesson from me and he was slowly learning to developing the sensitivities and self preservation instincts he would need to survive 5th grade – and eventually 6th and maybe even 7th grade.
It’s soooo true. Teach them well. They’re sure a handful, but these little rascals would never be able to figure out this crazy world without us!!
Wow - such an important lesson. Words are so powerful.
You are an incredible Mom - those kids don't know how good they've got it! :)
you should write more often! This was so well said. Your mom reminds me of the grandmother in Charms for an Easy Life. How lucky are you! And how lucky are your kids to have parents that KNOW and respect their roles in life and visit the temple and go to cool concerts, etc... hope to meet you someday Denise. Your testimony shines through the way you live your life.
Post a Comment