I consider myself fortunate in many, many ways. Perhaps one of the ways I feel most blessed is that I married a great man. Daniel's many virtues have been extolled on this blog in numerous ways and at numerous times. He is delightful and I'm grateful he's mine. We have been married quite awhile now, and one of the things I have come to love about Daniel is that unlike me, he is a creature of habit. I am not a mercurial person, but can move and change direction quickly. This aptitude has blessed me greatly in mothering five children, as their ever changing needs require me to be flexible and changeable. Daniel, on the other hand, does not like surprises. He often orders the same thing at various restaurants. I like to try different things. But there are a few things that Daniel does habitually that I find ever more endearing and comforting.
All of our married life, Daniel has called me each day from work. He makes sure that he speaks to me everyday. This might seem trite, but I really appreciate knowing that I was thought of, considered. Every morning, before going to work, Daniel kisses me. Now to explain, Daniel works on Wall Street, so he leaves at the crack of dawn. Usually when he's leaving, I'm still asleep. But he never fails to kiss me. It's like my alarm clock -- so yes, some mornings it's a little sad to feel that kiss because it's the harbinger of doom (read: Eliza will be in the room within 5 minutes.) But truthfully, I couldn't do without it. If he ever fails to kiss me (it's only happened once or twice) I know it.
So many times, when I'm listening to couples harp on each other, or counseling a friend, I realize it's in the little things that we build a marriage, a relationship, a home. Let me be the first to challenge you to kiss your honey every day this year -- both when they leave, and when they return. I promise you that a measure of greater love and kindness toward each other will result.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love this. Ben and I also subscribe to the daily kisses theory. It works!
I like your style Denise.
So glad you shared this. Sometimes I take for granted those little bits of kindness and expressions of love because I've spent them all on my kids.
Thanks for the reminder!
This was a great tribute. I hope to be as lucky as you are someday, Denise! And you also have a great writing style, by the way.
p.s. If I may ask a favor of you, could you let your wonderful husband know that I copied Graham and listed Daniel as a reference on my resume? I'm applying for an internship at the moma this summer!
Praising what they do right is certainly better than complaining about their failings. Great message. Wakened by a goodbye kiss = good, I will try to remember that and not grumble at being awakened! :-) It should remind me to be grateful that I am still in bed.
Amen, Denise.
I'm always confused by those women who complain about their husbands to each other. Whose side are they on? Nick and I are a team. I would never put up with someone else tearing him down, so why would I?
Thanks for starting a positive conversation about the sweet men in our lives.
Post a Comment