Wednesday, November 10, 2010

EDD


13 years ago today, I became a mother. I could tell you that I got thrown a miracle I never asked for, but that would be a lie. From the first time I held my little sister (another day I hope to never forget) I knew I wanted my very own baby. When Daniel and I were dating and first married, I even referred to babies as “little tinies.” I wanted my own “little tiny.” Well, I got it, and she was tiny – tiny and perfect. From the moment she appeared on the scene, she’s needed me. I guess I never counted on how much I needed her. Mothering Emma has never been easy. Sometimes, when I sit and think over her life, I am overwhelmed by the number of obstacles we have had to face-down. But I would take every one of those again to be her mother. Because did you catch that? – I’m a mother – her mother! Heavenly Father entrusted me (of all people) with such an amazing spirit.

Just this week, I took Emma to a new doctor. I have taken her to see doctors of many specialties in places all over the country. But this time, I knew that some of the health issues she’s been having had to be more than what the last few doctors were calling them. I needed to find someone who looked at the big picture and told me that everything was related – as I had suspected. As it turned out, Emma was diagnosed with an allergy to gluten, beef, and soy to name a few things. I wasn’t actually too surprised. Now, I’m on a mission to change the way she eats, to change what’s available in our home, and to help her back to better health.

Today, her 13th birthday, I spent 2 hours in the grocery store (my third this week) reading labels and trying to find my way through this new health maze. A friend called me on my cell phone while I was there. She asked me how I was handling it all. I thought for a moment, than answered, “She’s alive. She’s mine. This is nothing. I’m just glad to know more about how I can help Emma.” The greatest thing I’ll ever do, the greatest I can ever be – is to be the “mom.”

5 comments:

Claudia said...

thank heavens for mothers like you who keep searching!

We have several food allergies at our place and they do seem to connect to so many other "misdiagnosed ailments".

Don't get discouraged on your whole food journey. Ultimately, the entire family will benefit from new found ways of eating healthy food.

Meredith said...

Don't even get me started on allergies and related issues. I'm positive that at some point it's going to mothers and not doctors who crack the case on connections between neurological wiring and gastric manifestations. No offense to doctors - its just that we're the ones who live the day in and day out of it all and can see the correlations. I have a friend who has 3 in her family of 5 with the same allergies. Would you like me to connect the two of you so you can get her recipes and ideas? I well remember my first 2 hour trip to the grocery store in Philly, reading labels and coming home with only one bag. I called you near tears and you bailed me out with food items from your own cupboards. I wish I could do the same for you now. Good luck!

Rachel said...

That picture of Emma is gorgeous!

Meesh said...

Your Little Tiny is tall and pretty now. I know Heavenly Father will help you do what you need for her, especially because you recognize the blessing in all of this!

Libbey Toys said...

It was great to hear from you on our blog! John tells me you are looking at NJ.. sounds exciting! Hope that goes well. We miss you guys, but we are really loving CA.