Thursday, March 23, 2006
Popcorn Trees
Rachel was searching through the pantry for things to eat last night because, as is often the case, dinner was not sufficient. She pulled out a bag of popcorn kernals and suggested that when we had a bigger house with a garden, we could use the kernals to plant popcorn trees. I listened to her other ideas about things we would plant in our garden and yard and as I listened, my mind wandered to that oft-investigated place in my brain where I store the thoughts about all I'm doing wrong as a mother. I mean, Rachel might be the brightest 5 year old I've met, but where did I go wrong with the popcorn trees? And then it hit me, this time it's the Primary's fault. "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree." Rachel made a good assumption, afterall. So, I'm not taking this one on -- it's the fault of a General Primary Presidency from the 50's or something. It actually reminded me of the time I found Emma in the back yard digging holes in the dirt with a sand shovel and planting apple seeds she had collected from the apples in our kitchen. She had an inverted Revere-Wear pot on her head. Again, this one is not my fault. Emma's actions like Rachel's, were super cute, but are clearly traceable to Disney. Now don't get me wrong, most of the weirdness that my kids exhibit is directly attributable to me or Daniel, but every once in awhile, it's nice to point the finger at another source. I mean I am quite sure that most of the naughty things Caroline does are because we live in New York, and as everyone knows New Yorkers are quite a bunch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment