Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Space...the final thing to go

Pregnancy is such a weird thing. Oh I know it's "natural." But I really feel anything but natural. In fact, I feel like one of those weird vegetable anomalies that you see exhibited in brochures about agriculture fairs. Like the 190 pound pumpkin or 50 pound zucchini, with all their little growths. I have no internal space left for such luxuries as breathing, eating, etc. So, at this stage in pregnancy I like to compensate for these feelings by cleaning out and getting rid of things in my physical world. I think it's "nesting" gone horribly awry. Daniel has learned to tolerate my "getting rid" habit. In December we had dinner with another couple who were just a few weeks away from having their third child. The wife is also a self-described "chucker" (as she put it) and the husband described the holding area...(which for you "keepers" is the spot where people like me put all the stuff we are getting rid of right before we make the run to DI or Goodwill or whatever) as Pergatory. Well, because space is such a commodity for me right now -- both internally and externally, I have placed many of our belongings in Pergatory -- which right now is the garage. Hopefully, Pergatory will be emptied this week. I almost wonder if I didn't get rid of things in preparation for each baby if I would have other problems. It's no secret that my mind is gone during pregnancy. I somehow believe that my final clean-out before each child actually helps me get part of my brain and memory back. Surely this is false doctrine, but let me believe what I want...it's all I've got left at this point.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Hey, I'll totally come help you purge. Maybe the baby and I will make a little weekend trip...let's just see...

daniel said...

This is why Deb is my favorite sister this week. She takes one for the team by letting Denise come clean her house, thereby allowing the stacks on my desk another brief respite.