My parents came for the Thanksgiving holiday. It was great to have them here. Even though they are both in their 60's now, they both work like 20 year olds. They are a great example to me of hard work and sacrifice. Right after they got here, I mentioned to my Dad that we wanted to take out the 40+ foot tall blue spruce in the back yard -- right outside the breakfast room. I said I thought we'd have it removed in a year or so -- since it was likely to cost several thousand dollars. He eyed the tree carefully and said all he needed was a chainsaw and he could take it down. Grunt, grunt...
So, the day after Thanksgiving he had me take him to Sears (painfully early in the morning) to buy a Craftsman chainsaw. We came home and he began his assault on the spruce. My mom and I gathered the children and went to the far corner of our playroom -- just in case the tree didn't fall quite right. And guess what...it didn't. Just as Dad got the wedge out, a gust of wind came up and blew that huge tree right toward the house. And that was when the Thanksgiving miracle of 2006 occurred. Because the tree really should have taken out the whole breakfast room -- but instead it brushed the house as it fell BETWEEN us and the neighbors -- only damaging one section of the fence -- our fence. The other miracle that occurred then is that I refrained from profanity and wetting myself and after assessing the situation, spent the next 2 days cutting up limbs (a job I thought I'd outgrown -- see earlier posts on this subject.)
If you need firewood, boughs for decorating, whatever -- come on over. Oh heck, come over anyway -- it looks so cool back there without that huge tree!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Crazy story - I am so glad it didn't fall on your house. You Dad is like that guy in HOME IMPROVEMENT - in fact, that could have been an episode.
Post a Comment