Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I Heart Being Left Alone...


I HATE Earth Day! Every year, Annie and the Natural Wonders Band -- a bunch of hippies who never went out and got real jobs (thanks Raffi) comes to my older kids' school. There she sings catchy tunes -- all thinly veiled brainwashing techniques -- to make the kids more "Earth conscious." What really happens is that my older kids come home telling me that we have to not buy any more juice boxes or water bottles -- all their lunch beverages must now be sent in re-usable containers (that stink to high heaven after one day in the lunch crate.) Now, I must recycle everything --"You know Mom, (said in the most philosophical voice a 7 year old can muster) that could be reused or recycled." Nothing can be put in plastic baggies without a major guilt trip -- and the offended child spouting off some horrific statistic about the amount of baggies cluttering the world's landfills and single handedly choking rare species of geese causing them to become extinct. Annie does not have 4 children. Annie does not get everyone fed, clothed, bathed and ready for school before 8:20 AM while remembering to not leave the infant behind, then proceed to drive 3 carpools all before 9:15 AM. If a Ziploc baggie and juice box simplify that process -- All hail Ziploc! I try to be careful with the Earth's resources. I'm trying to be as "green" as I can be, without losing my mind. But please, don't undermine all I'm trying to do by brainwashing my kids that I'm a bad mom/person if I'm not the same as Annie and her excessively hairy cronies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!!!

Kathryn said...

You are funny. I used my reusable shopping bags for the first time yesterday. (I have had them for months). I felt good, except they take a while to load and I could feel the stares of the other customers in the back of my head who were waiting and waiting....

Erin said...

Roxcy learned about global warming the other day at school. She also learned we shouldn't litter and that would help with the global warming problem. Um, I don't have a problem with being environmentally conscious, but I do have a problem with wrong and misleading information being taught at school. Like the good parent (and earth lover) that I am, I told her there wasn't really much we could do to help with global warming, unless we had to power to shut down factories in China and America.

daniel said...

"annie and her excessively hairy cronies" would be a better name for the band than "annie and the natural wonders".

also, children would be more inclined to listen if the band were composed of hobos instead of hippies.

Jenni said...

I think I saw that band at the mall here in RI, no one, and I mean NO ONE stopped for a minute to listen, I stopped to see if they were actually serious, they were, and I had to walk away because I was laughing seriously hard!

Nan said...

Oh, I loved this post!! LOL!

"Annie does not have children..."
Methinks Annie is doing the world a favor in this manner. :^D