So I just got home from picking Caroline up after a party at the hateful Leapin' Lizards. I know it's supposed to be this great place for kids' parties, etc. but I believe it's more the devil's playground. Anyway, the party -- for 2 little boys in Caroline's preschool class, was supposed to start right in the middle of Eliza's nap. So, I made arrangements ahead of time for a neighbor to take Caroline to the party -- then I picked up at the end. When I got to Leapin' Lizards (hereafter referred to as LL), several of the moms there expressed to me how well behaved Caroline was at the party. One mother in particular, described Caroline as an angel and a princess in about 3 minutes worth of conversation. I thanked her, and said that being a third child definitely has its price -- causing that Caroline learned early on that there were more ways than hers in nearly every situation. But, I also told the mom that Caroline is, after all, 3 years old, and not always so easily entreated. She pooh-poohed this notion and then proceeded to explain that her 3 year old was opinionated, intense, and a "monster." She said she couldn't understand where all the intensity and short-temperedness came from. I just smiled and listened.
We left a few minutes later. We got to the car, and as I buckled Eliza into her car seat, I noticed Caroline dancing around -- rather than climbing into her car seat as I had instructed. I asked her if she had to go potty. She nodded "Yes." I asked her if she could hold it long enough to get home, but she shook her head, "No." I got Eliza back out and began to make my way back into hell -- I mean LL. As I did so, I passed the "monster" and her mom. I commented that Caroline had to go to the bathroom -- so we were headed back inside. The mom just shook her head. She said, "I can't believe you have a smile on your face. I would be so mad. I mean you just left."
"Oh, it's no big deal," I answered, and waved goodbye to them. As I got Caroline taken care of, I thought about that interchange. First, we are talking about 3 year old's here. I am just glad that Caroline 1) told me before she wet herself and 2) before we were off in the car and I didn't have some place to take her right into. Why would I be mad at her? I should be annoyed with myself because I didn't think to ask my 3 year old BEFORE we left LL whether or not she had to go potty. It's not like I'm a first time mom just learning about these things, after all. And let's see, where does that other little girl -- the "monster" get her intensity? Hmmm...I can't imagine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh jeez I hope I am not like that mom when potty training starts (imminent). Awesome example of patience, I will have to think of this story each and every time Zane needs the potty right when I am leaving somewhere.
My children always remember the bathroom after we have left a convenient one. I think that I was the most impatient about the bathroom with my oldest child. He got the most impatient of everything. I am so lucky that he is the most patient child I know. Karma came back to bite me with the next one. She taught me patience.
damn good point.
Congratulations! I had no idea that you were even expecting another. Way to go you! I've started a blog too. saracolorado.blogspot.com
Take it easy and keep in touch!
Post a Comment