
One of the most interesting things to me about living in New York is that people here -- usually absolute strangers, seem far more comfortable sharing their unsolicited opinions with me than I am accustomed to as a Native Northern Californian. In the Bay Area, people are friendly, but not necessarily as opinionated as their New York counterparts. Take an experience I had today as a prime example. I was grocery shopping at Whole Foods Market. After I'd been there a few minutes, I noticed a middle aged woman who had noticed my baby, Eliza who is now 1 year old. Every time we encountered this woman, she would touch the baby's foot, or play a little peek-a-boo with her. We had maybe three encounters with the woman. When I got to the checkout, she pulled alongside me and proceeded to unload her groceries on the next conveyor belt. She looked up at me and remarked that Eliza was so cute. Then she said, "Is she YOUR baby?" I cocked my head slightly to one side and answered, "Yes." "But," she responded, "She's SOOOO pretty." I started laughing. "Well," I said, "My husband is really handsome." "Oh." She replied. Of course, at seven and a half months pregnant, I'm not looking my best. But the funniest part of that whole thing to me is that Eliza looks more like me than any of my kids. Nice!

4 comments:
lying to the stupid is unkind. you shouldn't have been dishonest about the source of the child's good looks.
great! I'm mean AND homely...and a liar!
Wow. I am still amazed at what mindless things people will say. I love how perfect strangers try to determine who your child looks like, or does not look like. I get it a lot....strangely from old people. And most of the time it involves my kids being fairly slim in comparison to their mother. Yeah...I can do the math, too.
Sigh, Let's just discuss old people in general and their relationship to babies. It's also *always* the old people who ask if your baby is a boy when the poor babe is dressed in every shade of pink imaginable.
I happen to think your girls are the perfect combination of *both* of you and are all beautiful little ladies. And I know that I have perfect vision (she probably has cataracts or something . . .)
Post a Comment