Years ago, before his days on SNL, I heard comedian Colin Quinn quip, "If a kid says it, it's true. Just accept it." As a parent, I've learned that what Quinn noted years before is solid gold fact. And if you are really wondering which words you use or overuse, just listen to your two year old talk. Caroline, who is now five, used the word actually incessantly at the age of two. Of course, it meant I was using it too much, so I quickly learned to taper off my dependence on actually.
Eliza Jane is now two. She tells us with frequency that she is not going to blah...blah...ANYMORE! For example,
Me: Eliza, do you want some cheerios in a bag? (normal voice)
Eliza: I don't want cheerios ANYMORE! (loud, perturbed -- you could not be more stupid if you tried voice)
I guess I won't use that word, anymore.
Another word I apparently have used too much lately: perfect. For example, I took Eliza to the doctor to have her ear checked because she told me it hurt (really do love it when they can tell you what is wrong) and the doctor looked into her ear and Eliza said, "Thanks. That's perfect." Which, of course, made the doctor laugh.
Now I wonder, since John will be two this summer, what things he hears too much that he'll start saying ad nauseum. I'm guessing, "Stop pulling on that!" might be one of them.

6 comments:
My 3 year old would always ball his little hands into fists and say "I mean it!"
My youngest is about to turn two, my money's on him saying "stop crying" all the time. If I had a nickel for every time I've had to say that I'd be able to buy my own island.
uh oh that doesn't bode well for my son speaking in a way that is socially acceptable...since he hears most of my um, exclamations toward bad drivers...I have tried to stop saying "I'm sorry you have such a small penis and must show your manhood in rude driving" because I didn't want him to have any size issues later in life...
Anna loves the phone and runs around the house saying "phone" whenever it rings. The only problem is that when she says it, it sounds an awful lot like another word that starts with the "ph" sound...and doesn't end with "n". People who know me will know we don't use words like that but I'm sure strangers will think we walk around swearing like sailors! I hope she learns to say the "n" sound REALLY soon!
My 3 year old loves to say, "Stop talking to me" His interpretation of what I tell him when i am on the phone. "Stop it mom" was huge too.
On an unrelated note, Swing on over to Dawsnyland for Churros next time your on this side of the world! :)
Well my over used saying is absolutely TRUE---- I always tell the kids "You are driving me crazy!!" The other day Paige used it on me and I just had to laugh! The kids really ARE driving me crazy! But Paige is the only one to pick up on things- she couldn't play at the neighbors for a while because their three year old was using FOUR letter words! Got to love living in Utah! HA!
What will Ellea say? Hmmm. "Not for Mommy." or maybe "Do you need to go potty?" Maybe she'll just tell me I'm cute and I'm delicious. Well, all of those are nice ideas, but when she does actually start to repeat whatever I say most, I will probably be mortified.
Post a Comment