
Today, it's snowing. We've had quite a snowy winter this year. I'm fine with that, water is good --- yada, yada, yada. No wait, that's a huge lie. I HATE snow! Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area was complete bliss as far as weather is concerned. We had mild, beautiful days year round. There was never such a thing as a weather related cancellation. I bought my first winter coat when I went off to college. So snow -- while I think it's pretty, unless I can stay home with all my family, nice and snug and have no where to go, plus someone else is coming to shovel and clear the walks -- is a nuisance. Luckily, because we live in a school district with no busing, we don't generally have to worry about getting kids to school in the snow. If it's snowing, school is cancelled -- or at minimum delayed.
That is, unless there is standardized testing that week. Last week, the school posted a delay on Wednesday because of some freezing rain in the night. Never mind that by the time it was time for school to start it was just regular rain and there was no ice or snow on the ground. But this morning, we have frigid, very cold temperatures AND snow, but school is on -- regular time. Why? Because the New York State ELA tests are this week, and apparently the health and safety of our children is secondary to our rankings and school ratings. Yes, the kids go to amazing schools. But at what cost? Today the cost is a crabby, cold, tired mother. Grrrr.

5 comments:
Remember pushing Emma to school in your double stroller during the Philly winters? And the time you asked her to hold your hand and she said, "Don't you think you are old enough to walk without me holding onto you?" What a riot.
Thanks for that reminder...I needed that. Emma was so cute (she still is...) Sadly, NY is colder than PA. But, yes...walking was very cold sometimes. I hated the snow then too.
Love the school bus photo!!! I almost had a nervous breakdown when the snow blower wouldn't work! Luckily for Bryan (and the checkbook) it was just a spark plug and was fixed in a couple days! Otherwise I had my eye on a four track with a shovel scoop--- then I could really clear some snow!!!! No snow here in Utah this week just ugly unhealthy inversion air that we can't send our kids outside in! LOVE IT!
I love snow! I know it's a nuisance and everything, but I can't help it. It would stink to have to send them to school during a storm though.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Actually, I'm in the Hartford stake out in Connecticut. Are you guys just outside of New York City? Oh, and I'm from the bay area too! :)
Oh, and do you live anywhere near Sleepy Hollow? We go there all the time since I'm into spooky things. Last time we were there, though, my 3 year old lost a battle with a 200 year old gravestone. Had to go to the Phelps Hospital emergency room. Ouch!
Post a Comment