Tuesday, December 08, 2009

We Three Kings...

Growing up, my Dad had a habit of altering many words and expressions, to the point that we referred to the private tongue spoken in our household as Reederese. The Wise Men that visited the young Christ child were referred to by my father as "The Three Wise Guys." Well, I think they visited my house this year, a bit before Christmas, but at least at the start of the season. Let me explain...

Several years ago, our first Christmas after moving into this house, I bought some stocking hangers because I didn't want any goo or hook to mar the antique marble fireplace in the living room. I chose a set that said PEACE, because it was the only one with 5 letters, and I was expecting my fifth child. Last year as we were packing up the Christmas decorations, John dropped his letter "E" and broke it. Although I have searched all over for another set with five letters, I have yet to find one, so I just decided to try to glue the broken "E" for now. To that end, I had put all five stocking hangers on the counter while waiting for the glued one to dry. Sunday morning, I came downstairs to find that someone had rearranged the letters and added a letter written on a index card to display another message. Perhaps I made the children work too hard on Saturday getting ready for our annual Christmas Open House?

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very cute! My friend has the word "SANTA" stocking hangers which is very cute. You could get 2 santa's for either end and that would be 7 for mom and dad too!

Jenn S. said...

so funny! I don't know what I was thinking when I bought a set of 4 star Christmas tree holders a few years ago - cannot find them anywhere now (of course!) and we always knew we'd have more kids . . . I hate having to buy a whole new set - but the thought of one that doesn't match the rest is truly unsettling. No stockings for you and Daniel? You could do BELIEVE with 7!

Bubba the Hutt said...

I bet that sneaky little elf is a wicked Scrabble player.

Meredith said...

I have the same set of stocking hangers for the same reason, it was the only one with five letters. We dropped and broke out letter P last year. Thus far we are one stocking short on the mantel and it only says "EACE" Oh well.

Stephanie said...

Hey I need your address! Can you leave it on my blog? That would be awesome! Thanks, Stephanie

Hot Diggity Daws said...

I like that...the 3 wise guys...I may have to use that some times. Too funny, and clever.

I wish we could borrow some of your weather...Some year we could do the cross country swap! House Swap for the Holidays...now that would be interesting. Who would show us around NY if we did that? Plus who am I kidding, that would make for some serious traveling expenses! Alas, we will have to settle for a friendship of distant kindred spirits. Thanks for the baptism shout outs!

Mad-Moiselle said...

"Escape"... haha, that's too awesome. How smart of your kids!