Tuesday, June 22, 2010

1 Corinthians 13

June 14th, Flag Day. More than just Flag Day, June 14th is my dear friend Julie’s birthday. Julie and I only get to see each other every 10 years or so now, but there was a time when we spent much of our free time together. As the top rated female DJ in California – a distinction she’s had for the last twenty years, she introduced me to much of the top talent in country music all those years ago, as I accompanied her on her rounds emceeing various concerts in and around the Bay Area.

But, it was Julie’s ebullient spirit and sense of humor that endeared her to me. Julie is firmly rooted in Christ, and although she had been through some serious trials, she stayed dedicated to her testimony of the Savior. From Julie, I learned one of the most valuable things ever: Not to be offended. Julie used to say, “You can’t offend me. I love you and you love me, so you could never offend me.” I probed her on the topic of not being "offendable" once. She asked if I’d ever read Paul’s dissertation to the people in Corinth. I had. She asked me what I thought was meant by being “not easily provoked” etc. I thought long about that. I decided then and there: I was not going to allow myself to be offended.

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

This is a lifelong pursuit. I have to work at this every day. Not being easily offended helped me so much as a missionary. It helps me as a wife, sister, daughter, mother, friend. I also work to not give offense, but undoubtedly do just that from time to time. I just have to pray that others will have charity toward me, and know that the love I feel for them would surely preclude me from knowingly giving offense.

2 comments:

Nina said...

funny, I always thought one of the things that was great about our friendship was we could both probably bug the heck out of each other but we liked each other too much to focus on the small things like that and got over it without ever saying anything. makes me a better person being friends with you. and is something I should do more with others :)

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Loved this. Thanks for sharing.