Monday, March 19, 2007

When I Grow Up I Want to Be a Honda







I have decided that people are quite a bit like cars. The really high maintenance cars end up being disliked by their owners. The reliable, low maintenance cars are the ones most people like and trust. Pretty, sporty models get old and worn out over time and with wear and tear. Collector's editions might be pretty and keep their value over long periods of time, but are not useful and have to be carefully kept and maintained.



When I grow-up (which I think might be tomorrow or next week, but is scheduled for this year) I want to be a Honda or Toyota. They aren't the most expensive vehicles on the road, nor the best looking. But they are reliable. They run and run with very little maintenance. They keep their value fairly well and they are well-regarded. They don't have to be the fastest, sportiest, coolest things on the road. But you won't lose your life savings repairing one either. Yes, I want to be a Honda Odyssey.

10 comments:

Mumsy said...

Great analogy. Me, too. I just hope if I'm a car, I get washed and vacuumed more often.

daniel said...

is fred not vacuuming you often enough now? i'll have a chat with him next time we meet.

liz said...

what a great way to (?) get something off your mind- often since having my blog I have run into stressful friend drama and can't write about it as much as I wish to because the fear of the wrong person (or correct person) thinking it's about them.

When in general girls just need to not be such high maintenance.

Denise said...

Liz, you crack me up. While I COMPLETELY agree with your last statement, I actually wasn't writing about anyone in particular. I just think that girls who act like prima donnas should take a step back. Similarly, men who have to be brutish and rude to prove their "manliness" need to stop. I'm not a real big fan of some of the male/female stereotypes I'm hearing and seeing more and more these days. Maybe that's because I'm the mother of four daughters and I hear people tell me all the time how crazy my life must be -- hormones running rampant, etc. I always answer with, "I don't allow that kind of behavior." People are usually shocked at that response. But really, I think it's a parenting response to large extent.

jenafeldman said...

I love this!! I think I was a run of the mill car (quite possibly an import and probably new) that was involved in a brutal head on collision with NY...disfigured beyond recognition at the moment. Who knows exactly what model will come out of the body shop. Dan is hoping for that flashy sports car you mentioned. I personally am just hoping for new and set of headlights!

The Roses said...

Yes, I agree. I would just hope I got a good driver.

Jenni said...

I think I'd be the Pontiac Fiero, which at one time may have thought it was a bitchin' car, but really wasn't and sure as he** isn't cool now.

Mumsy said...

I love how Jenni edited "he**" but left "bitchin'."

Lisa said...

This is great - I would have to be a sport utlitity vehicle - maybe an Escalade. I want to be able to climb snowy hills with speed, off road and go anywhere with anything. They may not be as cute as the little sports cars but they are much more fun! Fun Post Denise!

Denise said...

Yes, Lindsey...Jenni is a funny one. Hell is a place and bitchin' isn't even a real word. Ahh but damn if I don't like you both anyway!