Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I Heart the BBC

My friend Cyndi recently posted this quiz on her blog and I admit, it was easy to bite. I am a nerdy girl with an undergrad degree in English, so British literature is just plain yummy to me. My results on the quiz (albeit somewhat silly, because I often found myself guessing at which description fit me best) were not hugely surprising to me.

I am Elinor Dashwood!


Take the Quiz here!

Now that aside, Marianne asked me to post a list of some of my favorite movies -- most of them adaptations of British literature made by the BBC. There are also a few Hallmark Hall of Fame movies in here too. This is not an exhaustive list, just a start. But here are some films I have really enjoyed:

Poldark 1 & 2
Love Comes Softly
The Magic of Ordinary Days
Our Mutual Friend
Emma
Sense & Sensibility
Persuasion
Mansfield Park
Pride & Prejudice
Northanger Abbey
The Horatio Hornblower Series
Martin Chuzzlewit
Middlemarch
Nicholas Nickleby
The Importance of Being Earnest
Chariots of Fire
Much Ado About Nothing
Wives and Daughters
Amazing Grace
Elizabeth I (Helen Mirren version)
The Way We Live Now
The Richard Sharpe Series (Sharpe’s Rifles, etc.)
The Illusionist
A Room With A View
Howard’s End
The Remains of the Day
Bleak House
Great Expectations
He Knew He Was Right
Jane Eyre
Finding Neverland
The Woman in White
The Forsyte Saga
Daniel Deronda
Silas Marner
The Scarlet Pimpernel
The Mayor of Castorbridge
Enchanted April

There are a whole slew of BBC adaptations in my queue...much to Daniel's chagrin, so that I can keep updating you.

I do not watch things that are rated R, and I often preempt my Blockbuster queue by getting the movies from the library so that I don't have to wait for them to come in the mail. I'd love to see other's lists of good literary adaptations.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, thank you for all these great recommendations! We just signed up for Netflix and I love all the possibilities.

I am afraid to take the Austen quiz. I am afraid I am Emma-- I mean well but often say just the wrong thing!

Mumsy said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes! Love all of those movies--well, there are some I haven't seen. We have the exact same taste in movies.

Amanda Neilson said...

I love the list! I need to get started watching all those!

amy said...

Love your list- You should check out "Under the Greenwood Tree"- it's by Thomas Hardy, but could be classified as a romantic comedy-- really!

MsScreensiren said...

Fabulous list! There are actually a few that I have missed and I can't wait to watch them.