Thursday, April 09, 2009

And the Winner Takes It All...


This morning, Emma came downstairs and told me she had an ear infection. Since she's 11.5, there's no "hmmm well maybe it's just...." No, when a kid that old has pain in her ear, she can identify the problem and tell you exactly what is going on. It's a beautiful thing. So, I called the doctor and got an appointment for her at 11:30.

At 11:30 AM, both of the youngest two kids are asleep. So, I turned to Rachel and said, "Could you stay with the younger three while I take Emma to the doctor?"

"Sure," she responded. I got the youngest two down for nap and set the 5 year old up on the computer. I told Rachel, "Surprise me!" And then, Emma and I walked out the door.

When Emma and I returned an hour and a half later with her antibiotics, Rachel met us at the door with John on her hip. "How long has he been up?" I asked.

"About 15 minutes," she answered. I looked around. Rachel had made lunch for herself, Caroline, and John. Cleaned the playroom. Vacuumed the whole downstairs. Mopped the kitchen and dining room floors. Put the dishes in the dishwasher. Taken the clean clothes out of the dryer and put the dirty clothes in the washer. And she had taken two messages from phone calls that had come in.

And this, this is why Rachel is getting the bulk of the inheritance. She is wonderful. If you don't have a Rachel, you should get one. And by the way, she just turned 9 two weeks ago.

8 comments:

Meredith said...

Yes, I definitely need to get q Rachel. Do you hire her out?

Erin said...

What a gal! Oh, how I wish I had a Rachel! But alas, all I have right now is a Tasmanian Devil! Maybe Rachel can give her a few pointers.

Gwen said...

do you believe in cloning? I don't know about emma, but paige is nowhere near that :)

Anonymous said...

ooh, she's not only beautiful and smart but helpful too? Wow. Do you think it's OK for third cousins to marry? I'd like to stake her out for one of my boys.

Just Jana said...

Can she come spend a week with my Sarah for some boot camp training??? Maybe she would listen to a fellow nine year old because she sure doesn't listen to me!?

Deb said...

Rachel is you.

Cyndi said...

Maybe I could get Rachel to train Lauren! By the way, that picture is so beautiful - what a great girl!

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Holy crap are you kidding me? How did I not get any girls, you are breaking my heart over here?

Any chance we could just fly her to AZ?