In the past few days, I've reconnected with a former missionary companion. Stephanie Haws and I were companions in Ibaraki, Japan back in the Spring of 1995. We spent three months together, even weathering an earthquake (the 7.1 Kobe quake) and Haws Shimai was my last companion before I returned home. Our district was actually pretty tight -- 4 elders and 2 sisters. We worked well together and had some great successes. We were much like a family.
Because I grew up in a family of all girls -- my first experience having brothers was on the mission. I had dated a lot pre-mission and had some guy friends, but those experiences were completely different from the "brothers" I had on the mission. Having this brother relationship was very eye-opening and cathartic for me. I loved it! I learned how to relax around the opposite sex and to understand a lot better how the male mind works -- completely free from the constraints and obvious attachments that are part of male/female relationships where attraction and flirtation are involved. I can honestly say that I was never attracted to, nor felt the slightest desire to have a relationship other than elder/sister or brother/sister with the elders I served with. That's right -- NONE. It was just great to have brothers. Brothers who fixed my bike for me, appreciated my attempts at Western cooking in an Eastern country, who made fun of my bike-riding antics, and who snapped hideous photos of me and then used them to tease and make fun of me. All very brotherly behavior.
So, in reconnecting with Haws Shimai, I am reminded of the weirdness of meeting up with some of my former "brothers" post-mission. Even though a lot of them acted the same toward me, others interpreted friendliness on my part much differently. While still on the mission, two of the elders, Haws and myself, had concocted a plan to go to each other's homecomings. Well I was the first to return, so none of them came to mine, obviously. But when I went to the next returning's homecoming, people were weird. It was icky. I couldn't understand it. I tried to explain to people -- "He and his comp used to call me 'beast' after a ridiculous comment I made one day. We all used to play volleyball on Fridays with our investigators and he and his comp would make fun of the way I would hit the ball, or rather the way the ball would hit me. I used to make fun of his skinny legs and loud breathing in district meetings." It didn't matter... no one wanted to hear it. So, I stopped keeping in touch with people from my mission. I went away. Which, of course, was easy enough to do because I got married and started having kids and that takes lots of time in and of itself.
But I just want to say, that those brothers and sisters -- that family I made as a missionary, they were great. We had some fun times and I learned so much from them. And I am grateful that for a year and half, I got to have brothers -- who were my friends and never more than that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It's kind of sad how things change when you come home. That's neat that you've reconnected and that it brings back fond memories. Your volleyball skills are pretty tight. :)
Good thing I left my awkward adolescent phase about 8 days ago and am unphased by your reference to my skinny legs.
PTC -- anyone who runs as fast and as much as you do should have skinny legs. And btw, your daughter is really cute.
I have many a fond MTC memory of you!!!! I'm so thankful I was blessed with your freindship!I would LOVE to see you when you come to Utah!!!I'll call you when we get moved into the new house! It is in Highland so I should be closer to your parents?! Take care!
That is so funny! "The Beast!" I had forgotten about that! Missions are great and weird all at the same time. Coming home is a huge adjustment. I don't remember the homecoming commitments but then again I think I was the last to return home. I went to the Osaka mission reunion spring of 96' and it was way weird! I was engaged then and ... I don't know, it was weird! Anyways, great memories!
Post a Comment