Wednesday, October 17, 2007

On My Mind

I love it that this area in New York has such great schools. It's an amazing thing that my kids are in small classes and that they get tons of private school-like extras. I don't take any of this for granted and in fact, feel like we are so very fortunate to be able to give our kids this opportunity. But, I must say, that sometimes it feels like it's all taken a little too far. I listened in as a mother at a local store berated her 7 year old (the kid could not have been more than 8, and was maybe even only 6) about her shortcomings in math. They were buying her flash cards and as this little creature stood in the aisle near me in her school uniform, I wondered if she had even seen the sun today. What about just letting kids be kids? I love it when I hear my girls playing a "made-up game." I love knowing that their imaginations are working like crazy and that they are just being kids. I don't want them growing up too soon, or spending every waking hour worrying about school. Today I remembered this scene from Uncle Buck.

Hey kids wait for me! I want to play Harry Potter gets chased by the American Girl Doll ponies too. Can I be Hermione this time? Sure, you can play on my bed. I have to make it everyday anyway. And someday, you won't want to play anymore...

4 comments:

jenafeldman said...

I am so glad my kids get to participate in the fun "imaginings" that go on!

liz said...

I LOVE THAT MOVIE and I love that scene.

my sister and i crack each other up all the time when we say 'i am moley russtle's wart...i mean..."

Gretchen said...

This post reminds me of a quote from Albert Einstein: If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales...

Amanda Neilson said...

Here, here!!!